The need has never been more urgent for orphaned and vulnerable children.
$40 HelpS Meet IMMEDIATE needs like food for a month for the children and families we serve.
What care is being provided to the children served by Orphan Outreach?
Ministry to orphaned and vulnerable children doesn’t end, especially in troubling times. In fact, the words of James 1:27 become more powerful than ever:
Religion that is pure and undefiled before God the Father is this:
to visit orphans and widows in their affliction,
and to keep oneself unstained from the world.
That’s exactly what’s happening in the countries we serve around the world. More children, families, and communities are being helped than ever before. Emergency aid is being provided to many children and families in crisis due to food and water insecurity.
As of 19 January 2020:
- In Guatemala, children and families served by all of our community-based, special needs, and educational programs continue to receive emergency relief, including food bags, hygiene products, and learning kits for the kids. In addition, our NGO ANIFU has been called upon to provide assistance to a home for children with special needs in Chimaltenango, and to highly vulnerable young mothers and their little ones in Guatemala City. And and the Community Care Center, food is now being provided to at-risk families referred by staff and families in the program. Travel restrictions have lifted and both commercial flights and public transportation are operational; however, food insecurity remains at an all-time high. Private schools have reopened with a hybrid model or virtual learning, with classrooms adjusted to offer safety measures in an effort to keep students healthy. Public schools are slated to join in February. Because of the student population, Down Guatemala will not hold in-person classes until the end of first quarter 2021.
- In Russia, technology is keeping our team connected daily to orphanage directors in the midst of quarantine, and classes are being taught via Zoom to children eager to attend. Regular phone calls and WhatsApp messages are also keeping our team connected to each young adult in our aging out initiative as they navigate life so that their essential needs may be met. Grocery bags are being delivered to homes, and one young adult even received much-needed furniture for her apartment. Essentials are also being delivered to orphanages. Families in the municipality program are receiving ongoing mentorship and guidance to navigate job loss, support services, and legal services.
- In Ukraine, social restrictions and quarantines have once again started in an effort to safeguard citizens. Meetings have returned to online gatherings. Basic groceries and other essentials are continuing to be provided, as well as counseling.
- In Latvia, a nationwide state of emergency has been declared due to a sharp rise in COVID cases. The measure has been extended to late-January and may be extended longer depending upon the evolution of disease activity. Schools have been closed, and care has returned to Zoom meetings, text messages and phone calls. The Family Resource Centre staff is working diligently to ensure children and families are provided the care they need.
- In Nepal, emergency food has been distributed to many of the families whose children attend the Godawari Education Center. In addition, because of the generosity of a donor, other families in the slum area have received meals. The area remains restricted, and it is unsure when schools will reopen.
We update this report on a regular basis, so please check back for new information!
How are SPONSORSHIP funds being utilized?
Kids are our priority at Orphan Outreach, and we know they’re your priority too! As a sponsor, you’ve seen firsthand the impact made on orphaned and vulnerable children when they’re provided the essentials of care they need to thrive.
Even now, your sponsor child is receiving care.
Our global team has never worked more diligently to find creative ways to serve the children in the midst of such tumultuous times. We are so very thankful for our staff and our ministry partners in Latin America, Asia, Eastern Europe, and Africa! Orphan Outreach ministry partners providing residential care are continuing to ensure each child receives what they need. And at our schools, after-school, aging out, and community-based programs, the goal is to do our best to provide the children and young adults with the support they need.
PHYSICAL CARE Soap, meals, food staples, and water are among the items being delivered to homes wherever possible.
EMOTIONAL CARE Teachers and social workers are checking in on children, young adults, and families via phone, providing tutoring, counseling, encouragement, prayer, and most of all—connection.
EDUCATIONAL CARE For some of our children, educational resources were provided prior to “shelter in place” directives, and for others, where possible, teachers are offering tutoring sessions by phone to help keep kids engaged. Additionally, in all our programs, special attention was given to ensuring each child or young adult understood the necessity of hand washing and good personal hygiene.
SPIRITUAL CARE We continue to pray as a global family for every child we serve and to provide tangible hope in whatever ways we can to reflect Christ’s love and compassion. We trust in the Lord’s goodness and redemptive promises as Father to the fatherless and Defender of the defenseless. We invite you to join us in praying daily for the orphaned and vulnerable, for caregivers, for healthcare workers, and for the governments in each country served by Orphan Outreach.
What about MISSION TRIPS?
For the safety and care of the children and families we serve—as well as those who want to provide volunteer support for them—we are currently developing the best approach to traveling on short term mission trips with Orphan Outreach. We are carefully monitoring international travel, vaccine guidelines, and service parameters with our NGOs and ministry partners around the world, and will provide regular updates as mission trip opportunities once again become available.